Monday, March 19, 2007

Book Review: Made to Stick

It's rare that I will review a book before I've finished reading it. It's also rare that I will decide to read a book again immediately after I finish reading it.

Made to Stick is that type of book.

The authors tackle the idea of what "sticks" in our minds and what doesn't. They argue that there is a process you can use to help craft ideas that will stay with your intended audience. This has huge implications not only in business, but in politics, non-profits...and beyond.

It's more than a business book, it's truly a how-to guide for securing a place in someone's memory.

They break down the criteria into 6 components using the acronym SUCCESs

S- Simple-what is the core of your idea?

U- Unexpected-people pay attention when something defies their expectations

C- Concrete-solid images and real data make your idea more believable

C- Credible-who is telling the story is important.

E- Emotional-let's not kid ourselves. We are emotional beings at our core

S- Story-People love stories and pay more attention when they want to find out "what happens at the end."

I am so excited about this book that, as I said, I am going to read it again...I have to, because I want to make sure I get all of the ideas in it so I can USE them!

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments