Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Will you be outsourced?

I spend at least 30 minutes per week thinking about what aspects of my job could be outsourced...and then aggressively seeking to eliminate them.

Last week, I found an opportunity.

We manage a list of customers to approach with offers. Some of the data (main phone numbers, etc.) was incorrect.

As it turns out, there is a member of our virtual team who is based in the Philippines. I pinged him and said, "Hey, do you know of a company that could help us with this? This task seems outsourceable." (He's got a different role).

Fast forward 3 days and the job is being done by folks in Manila.

My brother, Asher, gave a great presentation on some mega-trends, like outsourcing, at the Dingman Center for Entrepreneurship at the UMD business center. View it here.

Along these lines, a friend of mine told me that his brother is serving as an apprentice to become a plumber. I don't live in a socio-economic strata where this type of work is common, associating mostly with professional/white-collar class individuals.

I heard this and my first reaction was,"well, that's certainly one job that can't be outsourced."

What's valued and what's not is going to change....

I'm looking for a CPA in India to prep my taxes. Why not?

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments