Friday, August 26, 2011

Republicans and the No Taxes Article of Faith

Republican Party (United States)Image via WikipediaI was watching the Iowa GOP debate the other night (I know, a lack of judgment...not a good use of time), but one thing that struck me was how the idea of "no new taxes" (yes, I get the reference) has become an article of faith among the GOP.

Now, don't get me wrong...I think it's ok for us to say to Congress, "hey, before you raise taxes, I'd like to see you show us that you can spend the money we give you already in a more responsible, transparent manner."

I also think that the private sector does a better job of creating jobs than gov't.

Still, I do believe that there are times when taxes can be used to drive social good.

Cigarettes are a good example, in my mind.

Want to smoke? Fine. Go for it, but we're going to tax the hell out of it.  It's ok to tax undesirable behaviors like that (obviously what is/not desirable can be debated), but taxing productivity and innovation (in the form of income) is tougher for me to handle.

Be that as it may, I didn't understand why the hard line approach by the GOP candidates vis a vis ALL taxes was necessary.
Enhanced by Zemanta
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments