Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Windows 7 Review….

Microsoft Windows

Image via Wikipedia

As you may know, Microsoft is releasing its next version of the OS “officially” on October 22nd.

I’ve been using it out now for over a month and I have to say…I am very impressed.

Vista, let’s admit it, wasn’t the best, so there was a lot to bounce back from.

First off, the thing installs super quick (relative to past installations.) No more of these 3 hour ordeals. On my dual-core 64-bit machine, it was done in about 15 minutes and the single core 2GB RAM Asus Netbook took maybe 20. And there were no hangups or blue screens of death, etc.

The OS is just smarter, the driver issues that we had when we moved to Vista are nowhere near the same.   The interface is great (I’m sure Mac users will say something that “MS stole it,” but hey….)

And it’s just not as bloated. Faster, speedier. Smarter networking for the home as well.

A couple of new User Interface things to which you will need to adjust, but those don’t bother me, I cherish the thrill.

Even stodgy Walt Mossberg at the WSJ like this and calls it a “toss up” with Windows 7, see Mossberg on Windows 7 vs OS X - "A Toss Up" (jkontherun.com)

 

Hope springs eternal in Redmond.

It’s fun to count them out, but not always the smartest bet.

 

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments