Thursday, October 08, 2009

Business, Spirituality, and God....

SukkahImage via Wikipedia
Thanks to the intersection of great weather, wi-fi, and cell phones, I set up my office for the first two days of this week in our Sukkah as part of the holiday of Sukkot.

For 7 hours straight, I sat in the mandated temporary dwelling and lived between 2 worlds.

Sitting in there, I was reminded of the journey that the Israelites took through the desert for 40 years and of Biblical times.

And, simultaneously, I was immersed in the cutting-edge of digital culture. Fully connected, facebooking, emailing, blogging, twittering, skyping, etc.

Such a fascinating dichotomy.

And a spiritual experience at the same time.

I think it was probably the 2 most spiritual days of my business career...two words that don't usually go together, I know, but the setting gave me inspiration, gave me focus, and gave me a deeper appreciation of purpose. Plus, it reminded me that no matter how many blog posts I wrote, any success I achieve is due to God (and my wife, who is kind of like God, I guess...wait, is that heretical? Oh, you know what I mean :-).

Seriously, it was a powerful moment of intersection of these two components of my life.

Our Sukkah sits in our front yard and not only did I work there, but I had a chance to greet visitors (our mailman and our cleaning lady, for example) as they walked in to the house.

Had a chance to chat with them, to share with them the story of why I was sitting in this booth, surrounded by gadgets.

Just a great, memorable day that brought me closer to God...and, just as important, was a huge boon for my productivity!



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments