Friday, October 09, 2009

A Redskins Divorce…

Redskins logo 1982

Image via Wikipedia

The other day, I blogged on my “work” blog about my growing disillusionment with the owner of the Washington Redskins, Dan Snyder, and the way the team has performed.

I called it “when you kill your raving fans.”

What that experience has done for me is opened the door to a deeper introspection into my relationship with the team.

I love the game of football, but now, as I think about my lack of passion for the team because of its mismanagement, I come face to face with the reality (which I, like many, have swept under the rug) that the name is truly offensive to Native Americans.

In no other area of life would we tolerate something as overt as this. And in the Nations Capital, no less.

Like most break-ups, it will be painful, there will be moments of nostalgia, and it won’t be easy, but I think the time has come.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments