Friday, October 09, 2009

Obama, Nobel, and Awarding What?

My brother called me and told me that Obama had won the Nobel Peace Prize.

I thought he was joking.

My feelings about Obama’s policies are no secret, so I am not looking for people who share my feelings to weigh in here.

I’m looking for the pro-Obama camp to share their thoughts.

Here’s why I am riled up.

Assumption: the award is given based on the accomplishments of the recipient, not the hope/expected/desired accomplishments.

As one person noted in this CNN article, the nominations were due only 10 days after Obama took office, so he hadn’t really racked up much of anything at that point.

Convince me I’m wrong because right now it feels like the whole award has been cheapened.

(Coming after Yassir Arafat got it, that’s saying something…at least Arafat signed a piece of paper saying he would pursue peace. Even if he didn’t mean it, he did do something…sign the paper.)

Of course, if the award is based on hope, I can potentially convince clients to pay higher fees, since we have a lot of hope that our efforts will get huge results for them.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments