Friday, December 07, 2007

Best Buy-More on Details Matter


I think Best Buy is a pretty good store, so this isn't a rant, but a parable to demonstrate how, when it comes to the customer experience, there are so many angles to think about.

All you can do is...keep asking your customers, whoever they are, what they expect.

So, I ordered a USB hub online and selected “in-store” pickup. That was really great. Seamless and efficient.

Got the email confirming my purchase very quickly and I was all set to go.

I printed out the receipt and put it in my bag.

A few days later, after dropping off my kids at school, I thought I’d run over to the store. Only thing was, I didn’t know the hours.

They weren’t listed on the receipt. (They should be. So should the store phone number.)

So, while in the CVS picking up a prescription, I pulled up my Win Mobile 6 browser and went to BestBuy.com.

The challenge is that the website is NOT mobile friendly at all. It's very graphic heavy.

I finally get to the store locator and after entering in the data, I get a “script warning."

I know it’s blurry, but it basically says that a script is causing things to just take a hell of a long time. “Abort or Continue.”


Either way, I don’t get the info you need.

You know me, I talk about the “Remarkable Experience” a la Seth Godin.

I’m not really irritated, but I do think that there are a few customer interaction points that BB could improve.

And I think there's a lesson for all of us...again. Details really do matter. At every step of the way.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments