Sunday, May 07, 2006

Self-Discipline and Focus....

As much as I hate to admit it, it seems that "success" however you define it comes down to a few things. Having clear goals is one of them and hard-work/work ethic is big, but the more I look at it, the more I realize that it is simple things like focus on the priorities and self-discipline around them.

The most obvious example for me is my bedtime. I have a tendency to always try to do "one last thing" that may or may not be critical, but makes me feel good-like changing a light bulb. It can wait, of course, but I sometimes think that if I don't do it now, it won't get done. And, of course, it'll never be the highest priority item, but the consequence is I don't get enough sleep. And when that happens, I make dumb decisions and I am not on top of my game for the important things-family responsibilities, sensitivity to my wife, and my work.

The worst part is that even though I know it's critical, I don't always do it. That's the part of my psychology (and others-diet, exercise, smoking, etc.) that I would love to understand.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments