Monday, May 22, 2006

The "Friends of Jer" (FOJ) mailing list philosophy...

There are about 800 people on the FOJ list...they receive quarterly updates from me w/links to the blog, pictures of the kids, etc.

There are many who I have met once, some in random places, and some I will probably never see again. However, I keep them on the list. The exchange below explains my rationale.

EMAIL I RECEIVED
Jeremy - We're fine, thanks.... but I think you can take us off your email list. Don't know when we'll ever get to see you again, and tat will make your list just a little shorter.

Your kids look adorable!!


MY RESPONSE

Ok, you’re off.

Part of the reason I keep people like you on my list is precisely b/c I don’t know when I’ll see you again, but I do know this.

I enjoyed meeting you and wouldn’t mind seeing you again.

If you’re off my list, there’s no way I’d feel comfortable reaching out to you after 10-15 years or whatever it is. If you’re on it, at least we’ve maintained some type of contact.

Nevertheless, I understand that you have a different perspective. Good luck!
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments