Wednesday, May 24, 2006

"Can Stanley come out and play?"

My grandfather is a kid at heart. My grandmother tells a story of the kids in the neighborhood coming by when my mom was young, knocking on the door, and asking if "Stanley could come out to play?"

Over the past few weeks, my 10 and 8 year old neighbors have taken an interest in lacrosse. As a Hopkins alum, this happens to be a sport I have a passion for and I've enjoyed teaching them some rudimentary skills. We've played a few times.

Tonight, I reached a milestone in attempting to hit the high bar my grandfather has set in many realms of life.

The 10 year old knocks on the door and asks me, lacrosse stick in hand, if I can come out to play with them.

I called my grandparents to tell them I had a "Can Stanley come out and play?" moment.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments