Friday, May 26, 2006

The power of networking and technology

About 6 years ago, I went to a panel presentation with one of the bigwigs in the Internet industry. We’re talking, pretty big here.

At the end of the session, a friend of mine and I approached her and asked her if she’d be willing to have breakfast with two young, aspiring entrepreneurs.

She agreed.

3 months later, we met and had a good chat. Towards the end, she instructed me to “keep me posted with quarterly updates.”

For 6 years, I’ve been doing that. Not once did I get a response from her, but I kept doing it nonetheless.

A few weeks ago, I read an RSS feed about a new energy company. The concept seemed very interesting, they are located in DC, and I thought it would be interesting to meet with the CEO.  I clicked on the link to the CNN article about the company. In the bottom paragraph, I saw that this same woman, the bigwig, is on the board of the company.

I emailed her and asked for an introduction to the CEO.

She agreed.

 

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments