Thursday, January 05, 2006

Learning science...

I've got a great little "con" that I put on.

I've taught Calanit that when I say "Ar" she says "chimedes." As in, Archimedes, the Greek philosopher/scientist who postulated that the amount of water displaced from a bathtub when a person enters it is equal to the mass (or volume, honestly I don't even remember) of the person.

So, what I do is the following.
"Calanit, what was the name of the Greek philosopher who, while sitting in a bathtub, came up with the principle identifying water displacement based on volume of the object inserted into the water? His name was 'Ar..."
"chimedes!!!"

People are blown away and say "I didn't even know that!"
Of course, I could say, "who was the guy at the grocery store? His name was "Ar..."
"chimedes!"

Anyway, it's pretty cute.

I do have her refined on the following:
"What's a major component of blood?"
"Hemoglobin!!"

All she needs to hear is 'blood' and she's off and running.

I'm working on some more. I'll keep you posted.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments