Monday, January 30, 2006

Cinderella man

I was invited to a get together within walking distance of my house a few weeks ago. I took a stroll over there and wore a reflective vest when I did. A few people commented on it. My response was simple, “the stakes are too high now. Preventing the preventable is my duty. Now for my kids.”

But what about the seemingly unpreventable?

In Cinderella Man, it’s the Great Depression. On 9/11, it was terrorists. Who knows what fate awaits us? But it’s much worse when you have to worry more than just about yourself. When there are young kids who depend on you for material well being as well as spiritual, emotional, etc., that’s when your anxiety and stress goes up. How do you shield these kids from the potentially horrific? Seeing kids suffer is one of the worst things I can possibly imagine.

I don’t know and I guess you deal with it when it happens (and do whatever you can to make the unpreventable somewhat preventable by taking the best calculations into mind as you take risks-since there is risk inherent in everything).

The question is: which part of the unpreventable can be isolated and made preventable? And how do you figure it out?

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments