Thursday, January 12, 2006

Bluetooth and 1066

My newest technology gadget acquisition is a Bluetooth-enabled wireless headset for my phone. Bluetooth is a technology that has been around for at least 7 years (when I first heard of it) and I think it's finally hitting the mainstream (judging by the fact that it's a selling point in current car commercials.

This has led me to the new conclusion that the adoption curve for technologies is approximately 7 years. I'm watching a few others, including Electronic Bill Payment and Presentment (e-Billing), among them.

When I first heard about Bluetooth, I remembered that it was named for a Danish king (it was invented in Denmark). For more info on the origin of the name, click here.

Meanwhile, I've been listening to a book about the Norman invasion/conquest of England in 1066. I had no idea of the interplay of the Norwegian king, Harald Hardrada in the events of that year until I listened to this book. Anyway, in part of the historical context, the author was mentioning Harald's experience with the Danish kings who "always had colorful nicknames."

Made me think of King Bluetooth and the earphone I was wearing at the same time bearing his name over 1000 years later.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments