Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The value of a typing class…retrospective

In 9th grade, my mom made me take typing with Mrs. Balow.

I knew that typing was an important part of the industrial economy, but I had NO idea how big a role it would play in the post-industrial economy.

I am sometimes asked about some of my efficiencies and most of the time, I point to understanding of technology tips and tricks.

While riding on a train in Israel a few weeks ago, I was typing away and a few people kept staring at me, as if they were admiring the speed.

That’s when it dawned on me that a decent part of efficiencies comes from just the fact that I can type really quickly.

Thanks, mom.

Now, the question for me is: what’s the equivalent skill for the next stage in economic development?

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments