Thursday, January 27, 2011

Emotional Disclaimer…

One of the many things which the NFO does better than I is to express empathy for other people.

I'm working on it, but have a long way to go.

Typically, when the two of us receive an email from someone with any type of inquiry, I get it first and am happy to respond.

However, as I draft my response, there’s a voice in my head saying, “I bet I could be more sensitive, thoughtful, caring, and empathic like the NFO is.”

Of course, I have very little clue of actually HOW to do that, so I’ve come up with a hybrid approach.

I’ll respond initially by saying,

“Before I respond, I’d like you to imagine all of the thoughtful, caring, and sensitive language that the NFO would insert here about how much this means to us, how humbled we are, and how much we respect you, etc….yada, yada yada.

Now, here’s what I’ll say…”

and then I can just write it out.

Problem solved!!!!

It’s like those big disclaimers at the end of emails from lawyers, right? Winking smile

alt
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments