Friday, February 20, 2009

How Places Spark Memory

You know how there are certain places where you've been and those places are associated with certain events?

A few days ago, I was in Dallas at the Bar Mitzvah of my cousin.

I entered the hotel and immediately flashed back to a weekend 2 years ago.

In Dallas for another family event, I received an urgent email from the NFO telling us we had to cut our trip short and come home immediately.
Our Nana was dying.

The weekend had been full of suspense. My mom had decided not to go for fear of my grandmother's passing.

The hotel, for all of its glamour, however, only served to remind me of that weekend.  Of the anxiety, of my dad saying that it was his turn "on the firing line."
It's just interesting how a random place like the Hilton Park Cities in Dallas can become a trigger for a memory.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments