Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Why I Won’t Be Flying USAir or use Expedia Again…

US Airways A330-300 taking off from London.

Image via Wikipedia

Because they are “penny wise” and “pound foolish.”

I bought a ticket on USAir using Expedia to go to Tampa, FL for a conference.

Total cost $171 (incl. $20 for pre-paid shuttle service voucher)

Needless to say, the next day, the conference was cancelled (long story).

It took me a few days, but I finally got around to calling Expedia.

When I did, Expedia told me that:

  • If I canceled my ticket, I would lose the $7 booking fee and have $144 credit
  • However, if I were to re-book, I would get charged a $150 re-booking fee by USAir (Yep. You do the math)
  • Plus, the $20 for the super shuttle is also lost (‘the policy of our vendor’)

The rep told me that “Had I called within24 hours of booking to cancel, I would have had a full refund.”

Great.

I understand that there are rules.

I understand that there are ‘non-refundable’ situations.

But, I also understand that you need to do right by the customer if you want to engender positive goodwill and word-of-mouth referrals. It’s one of the survival strategies (Make Advocacy A Core Practice.)

And, I understand that if you don’t, that, these days, it’s even easier for people to tell their friends about their negative experience with you.

Which makes your job of marketing that much more difficult.

As a “gesture,” the rep, who was admittedly very nice offered me a voucher for $50…but only if I booked a hotel AND a flight through Expedia.

I’ll forward this post to travel@customercare.expedia.com and to customer.relations@usairways.com

I’m sure nothing will happen.

Makes me wonder…this policy…what does it really impact?

How many people buy a ticket and then cancel just for fun?

How much money does this policy really net the airlines?

So, yes, they have my money, but this feeling will stick with me a while and next time I have a travel purchase to make, I will remember it.

Just seems like a poor ROI decision.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments