Wednesday, February 25, 2009

It’s going to take 5 years….

Picture of {{w|Malcolm Gladwell}}. Full set fr...

Image via Wikipedia

One of the best books I’ve read in a while is called “Why We Buy,” by Paco (yes, Paco) Underhill.

He’s an expert in retail store experiences.

Nothing escapes him…lighting, signage, aisles, bathrooms, etc.

Perhaps the most visual story in the book is of a tie rack that is underperforming from a sales perspective.

After hours of video surveillance, Paco and his team determine that the problem is the “butt brush.”

Women who are looking through ties are getting bumped by passers-by because the ties are located too close to the main aisle.

“Move the tie rack 10 feet,” Paco advises…and sales skyrocket.

I’ve heard enough about Malcolm Gladwell’s new book “Outliers” to take away a key point.

To achieve mastery of a subject requires, in his estimation, 10,000 hours of dedicated and focused work.

The analogy for where I’d like to take my consulting practice is to be like Paco Underhill.

You know that when prospective clients call him, they don’t argue about price. He’s the best, they want him, so they will pay it.

So, figuring 40 hours per week and 50 weeks per year (yes, it’s probably more than that, but I’m ok with it), we’re looking at 2,000 hours per year that I devote to my work.

At a minimum, this is a 5 year hike.

Knowing that, however, is helpful. I like to sprint…hard and fast. But if I do that, I’ll never make it. Got to have a good pace.

 

 

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments