Sunday, February 01, 2009

The Beauty of Innocence

A Greco-Roman wrestling match in the United States

Image via Wikipedia

While child psychologists may not approve of it, Paco and I have developed a unique style of conflict resolution.

Wrestling.

For example, we’ll be in a discussion about whether he can eat yogurt at the same time as he eats cereal or AFTER he eats cereal.

Our experience is that

  1. more food is wasted when he eats yogurt at the same time
  2. after cereal, he finds he’s not really hungry, so he gives up on the yogurt

But, as Jeremy 2.0, he’s pretty determined, so we have a battle of wills.

Until recently.

Now, I say to him, “ok, Paco, let’s do wrestle. If I win, you eat the yogurt after the cereal. If you win, you can eat it at the same time.”

What’s so amazing about this process is not that he agrees to wrestle, it’s that he genuinely and sincerely believes that he is going to win.

Sure, there are times when I let him win such as “if you win, I will give you breakfast, if I win, your Mommy will give you breakfast” (when he wants me to do it, for example).

It’s just so inspiring and exciting to see him believe with 100% of his heart and without a shred of doubt, that he will emerge victorious.

It’ll be sad when that is gone.

 

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments