Thursday, September 18, 2008

NYC FOJ Meetups-Connecting FOJ’s is What It’s All About

The reason why I like the "Friends Of Jer (FOJ) Meetups" is because I get to see people from various parts of my life come together, meet each other, and engage in great conversation.

NYC foj gathering 005While the headline for my trip to NYC was a presentation at NYU's Stern School of Business on "Building Your Personal Brand Through Social Media," I took the opportunity to arrange two separate gatherings at Think Coffee in the West Village (yes, the FOJ's are so trendy).

In the afternoon session, I was joined by Abigail (JHU '95), Donna (Microsoft colleague), Michael (Snickelways colleague) and Barak (my brother, not the presidential candidate.)

The conversation moved around, but centered on the idea of "finding your true career calling." We discussed people's underlying motivations and passions, how to identify them, and then how to put an action plan in place to realize them.

The evening session brought Roz and Robbie (DC folks), Scott (former roommate), Efrem (UWS guy), Matt (another Snick colleague), Rabbi Jan (former teacher), and NYC foj gathering 010Abigail (back for more..she lives around the corner).

Things got intense early as we (actually they, as I just listened) got political and hard core!! Obama, Clinton, Palin, McCain, abortion, abortion, abortion. It was CRAZY, but I loved it. 

The best though is seeing the new relationships being formed. Abigail has a friend for Barak to talk with.  Matt and Robbie pulled out the laptop and started talking Ruby on Rails. 

Anyway, a great chance to reconnect and to help establish new connections. Thanks to all who showed up.

 

NYC foj gathering 011

 

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments