Friday, September 12, 2008

Just how BIG is the abortion issue?

For some, the mere fact that Sarah Palin is ‘pro-life’ is a litmus test deal breaker. They would never vote for her based on that alone.

But, I am starting to wonder, how important the issue really is to voters across America?

Not that they don’t have an opinion, but WHERE it ranks in their priority scale.

If you had to classify me, I’d be 'pro-choice.’ I think abortion should be available, there are times when it is desirable for medical/hardship reasons, etc., but it pains me to think of abortion as birth control. Nevertheless, I wouldn’t want it outlawed (though by most accounts Roe v. Wade is unconstitutional, which does concern me, but that’s a different topic.)

In probability theory (not that I am an expert), there is the concept of ‘relative weight’ that is certain items get more ‘votes’ than others because of how they are ‘weighted.’

So, for example, I put a higher relative weight on finding a candidate whose views align with mine on foreign policy and economic policy than on social issues, say gay marriage.

That’s not to say I don’t care about gay marriage or don’t have an opinion, but because I put a value of ‘10’ on foreign policy and economic policy and only, say, 3 on ‘gay marriage,” I am content voting for a candidate who may be against gay marriage (if I am for it), if that candidate matches up well on my highly weighted issues.

For example, my weighted priority list might look like this:

Issue Weight
Foreign Policy 10
Low Taxes 8
Abortion 5
Gay Marriage 3

With me so far?

You may not like my priorities or the “weight” I ascribe to them, which is fine and we can discuss it, but they are what they are.

On abortion, for example, I may say it’s only a 5 because I think that 80% of the country has a view similar to mine, I don’t think Roe would be overturned, I don’t see a threat of super conservative judges getting through a Democrat Senate, I think McCain is pro-choice, etc.

So, for all of these reasons, Palin isn’t a deal-breaker for me.

But, the bigger question is how everybody else weights their issues.

Thoughts?

Is “rolling back the clock” on abortion a reality? or a scare tactic?

 

 

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments