Friday, September 26, 2008

Gallup Organization=Data Mercenaries


The other night the Gallup organization called me to get my thoughts on various issues (McCain/Obama, Economy, healthcare, where I bank?).
At first, I was excited.
Then, as the questions progressed, I started to feel irritated and angry.
The guy on the phone (Phillip Jackson out of the Houston office-call him at 402 952-4444 to say hi ; no he's not the LA Lakers coach) was nice enough.
It was the questions...and how they were framed.
I've spent enough time with data to know that the old adage of "lies, damn lies, and statistics" is a truism and I found these questions to be perfectly suited for manipulative interpretation.
  • Are you currently satisfied with your entire standard of living? Can you afford everything you want to afford?
Well, yeah, I’m not depressed about it, but sure there are things I’d like to buy that I can’t
  • Do you feel empowered by your supervisor?
Uh, I’m self-employed, so yes, I guess I do.
Anyway, a series of questions that, over time, just made me less and less impressed with the whole process.
I don’t remember all of the details now (I was managing the 3 kidios at the time), but I remember thinking “Man, these questions are just ridiculous. You can do whatever you want with this data to tell whatever story you want.”
Now, when I hear Gallup, I will hear “data mercenary.”

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments