Friday, August 29, 2008

The World According to Garp (movie)

The World According to GarpImage via Wikipedia I have no idea why, but The World According to Garp is one of those films (and I guess books) that I'd heard about and felt that it was a representation of 1950's New York artistic culture as an icon of sorts.

John Irving is the author of the book on which the movie was based and thanks to the power of Netflix, I figured, transactional costs for giving it a try were pretty low.

I am glad I did.  A very interesting commentary on life in the '50s forward, particularly for women.

But, more than that, the dramatic and ironic twists in the development of the plot kept me involved.  It did take a bit longer than I would have liked to materialize, but I suppose it all made sense in the end. 

There were a few plot pieces that I expected to be foreshadowing of some calamitous event, but in hindsight, served a different purpose ('undertow' and 'red pickup truck.")

Nevertheless, seeing a much younger Robin Williams and Glenn Close (plus John Lithgow as an early stage transsexual) was fun in and of itself.

Definitely a movie worth watching if you consider yourself a pseudo-intellectual, as I do! ;-)


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments