Monday, August 11, 2008

Movie Review: Adaptation

Nicolas Cage portrays Charlie and Donald Kaufm...Image via WikipediaWhen you have 3 kids, it is not uncommon to have not even heard of an Academy Award winning movie. 

That is the case with Adaptation.

I suppose between the kids, NFO, and dedication to career, I missed it.

Which is both a shame and a relief. Had I missed it entirely, it would have been a shame, because as I watched this film, I said, "THIS Is what movies are supposed to be. A story that envelops you, transports you, brings you in."

A relief, because I did see it and it is one of the best films I've seen in a long time.

Super simple plot, a writer is struggling to write a screenplay for the movie you are watching.

Got it?

I didn't. Well, I did, but figuring out how to say it took a while.  Or better this: You are watching a movie about a writer struggling to write the screenplay for the movie you are watching.

And, the story that he is struggling (Nick Cage playing TWO roles, btw) is just a great one. It's got intrigue, drama, great acting (Meryl Streep and Chris Cooper) and a nice subtext of NYC high society vs. 'real people' as well.

Great, just great. If you haven't seen it, please do.

Zemanta Pixie
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments