Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The “Chiron” Rule…

It’s sales 101.

The executive assistant is just as important as the executive.

Whoops! I forgot that one.

Have a wonderful opportunity with a highly respected company. The assistant is fantastic. She was funny, greeted me with a hug when I met her the first time, and seriously asked me to bring my kids while I met with her boss.

After meeting with Chiron’s boss, I was given permission to submit a proposal. GREAT!

Then, I promptly ‘disappeared’ only to re-emerge in Chiron’s life when her boss wasn’t answering my calls.

Chiron called me on it. In a BIG way.

“I don’t hear anything from you for two weeks. You don’t say hi. You don’t drop me an email saying ‘what’s up?” and now when you need something, you come calling?”

She was partly joking, partly serious.

And she was right.

I deserved it. I forgot that ‘power’ doesn’t lie only with the title.

I’m not afraid to make mistakes. Make ‘em all the time. I’m afraid when I don’t learn from them.

I’ve learned from this one. Calling it the “Chiron Rule.”

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments