Thursday, July 31, 2008

Perception and Social Media…

Loving the discussion that is going on among the readers on the post: At what price ‘social’ media?", but here’s another angle.

Let’s work on the assumption that we are all creatures of perception and, to some extent, it’s more important than fact.

Ok, good…

Now, I’m in a start-up business, right?

I’ve had some client wins and some setbacks. Well documented.

Potential clients want to associate with winners, right? They want to feel like they are betting on a proven commodity.

So, here’s the rub…

If my blog is a place where I can be open and honest with you, the reader, and I write about, say, losing a proposal, or a client not happy with my work (hasn’t happened, don’t worry) and I try to frame it within the context of personal development, am I taking too big a risk?

What if a potential client, who isn’t a longstanding FOJ, reads that post and concludes: “nice guy, but obviously not a winner. If others aren’t hiring him, why should I?”

Then, if that’s the case, the unfortunate end result could be an unwillingness by me to share what is REALLY going on via my FOJ blog.

Or, should I just do what “feels right” and hope that clients will have the courage to hire me even if others have decided not to?

Thoughts?

Note: this is entirely hypothetical. All of my clients love me and people are knocking down my door to hire me :-)

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments