Thursday, August 10, 2006

Trust your Gut 2-Endocrinologist

The endocrinologist I met with 2 weeks ago came highly recommended. I really wanted to like her.

Tamar came with me to the initial consultation. She wasn't the warmest person...Tamar felt that she couldn't ask some questions...but my feeling is "look, I don't have to like the doctor, I have to believe s/he can get the job done." And I want to get the job done. I don't care so much about "warm fuzzies."

In the initial meeting, she said, "so you have a multi-node tumor..." and both Tamar and I looked at each other. We KNEW I had a single-node tumor.

A moment later, she caught herself. "Oh, I'm sorry..."

Towards the end of the consult, she handed me a copy of her notes. It read "multi-node tumor."

"Uh, isn't this a mistake?" I asked.
"Oh, I forgot to change my notes," she replied.

On Monday, I speak with her about the two options for radioactive iodine treatment (one outpatient w/less dosage, one in-patient..more dosage.)

She says, "I've got to wait until the blood work from your next appointment comes in before we know what to do. Your tumor is right on the border."

Fine.

Today, she calls me (after I fax her asking for the names of nuclear medicine doctors so we can get this process rolling.)

"You know, I'm not sure what I was thinking the other day," she begins. "Your tumor was 1.5 cm. That's definitely large enough to warrant in-patient."

At this point, I'm not feeling the vibe either and TRUST ME, I wanted to. I wanted to believe she was great, but my Gut is telling me...no way. I've got to find a different MD. The downside is it's going to push my schedule back a bit, but this is irreversible...I'm radioactive and not something I want to screw with. Know what I mean?

She ends by saying..."You should call Dr. ___ at the Washington Hosptial Center. His number is...."

I write the number, listening intently. When she's done, I look at it.

"Uh, Dr., that's my work number."
"Oh, they were written down right next to each other."

I am sorry. She may be the greatest doctor around but a few slips like that just doesn't give me the confidence I need right now.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments