Sunday, February 12, 2006

Snow day..

Once upon a time, snow days were a divine gift.  It’s 7pm on Sunday evening, here’s what has happened since 4 am.

 

  1. the power goes out at 4am and the temperature starts to fall
  2. at 7am, our kids wake us up and we look outside to see a massive tree lying across the street and the power lines down. By this point, the temperature in the house has dropped to a balmy 52 degrees Fahrenheit.
  3. We come up with Plans A-C and spring into action. Fortunately, we only need Plan A, as my parents (who live 20 minutes away) have power.
  4. We pack for up to 3 days stay at their home. I go outside, shovel a path out to the road, talk to some rescue workers/police officers who are investigating the power line issue, and then pack the car
  5. By 11:30am, we are all at my parents’ home.
  6. By 12:30pm, Tamar goes to work, I take a nap.
  7. At 5pm, we get word that the power is back on our street. I look outside and see that the lights on my car are on (which I can’t understand since they automatically turn off when you take out the key…and I’ve had the car for 3 years). Bottom line: battery is dead.
  8. At 6pm, we get the car started.
  9. By 7:30pm, we’re all home. I still have to shovel Tamar’s car out and take out the trash.
  10. Fortunately, our Internet (on which our phone/Vonage is dependent) is working, but it takes me 40 minutes to get my newly rebuilt PC back up and running (don’t know why and it makes me question my love of technology).

 

A hassle, yes, but the whole day was put into perspective as I drove with the two kids in the back to pick up Tamar at the Metro. They were whining and not in a good mood so I asked Calanit if she wanted to sing. It took a few repetitions, but I finally understood that she said “Sunshine,” meaning ‘you are my sunshine.’

 

I sang it to them both the entire way home and heard them get quiet and saw them fall asleep so peacefully in the backseat.  It brought tears to my eyes…and I kept on singing anyway.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments