Monday, April 25, 2011

Jerk Move?

I like aisle seats.

I like the space to stretch out. I like to know that I have at least one armrest.

I don’t want to be cramped in next to the window and I don’t want to have to bother people when I go to the bathroom (which happens a lot since I drink a TON of water.)

I arrived in Miami from Santiago after a 8.5 hour flight at 6am.

The flight to DC was at 8am. I got on board, sat in 20D on the aisle and all was well.

Then, a flight attendant approached me and said, “would you mind sitting in a center seat? I’m trying to sit a family together.”

I was tired. I had work to do and I certainly didn’t feel like I needed to sit in a center seat.

From what I could see, we weren’t talking about small kids because, I hadn’t really heard anything.

Of course, as a father who has traveled with children, I know how frustrating it can be.

But, I said, “actually, I do mind.”

It turns out the girls were 6 and 8 and slept the whole way. The mother sat in the aisle seat.

Had it been an infant or a toddler, I might have done otherwise, but I did feel entitled (the NFO hates that word and hates even more when I act that way) to the aisle seat.

Did I make the right call?

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments