Monday, April 11, 2011

Being the Gossip Target…

Jews Praying in the Synagogue on Yom Kippur

Image via Wikipedia

There’s a concept in Judaism known as “Lashon Hara” which literally means the “evil/bad tongue.”

It refers to gossip.

And, it is considered one of the worst things in which you can engage…or encourage.

There’s a woman I know who is particularly adept at this, unfortunately.

And, I will admit, in the past, I was guilty of indulging her and even encouraging her.

Like everyone, I have my less than savory sides to my personality.

Recently, I discovered that I was the object of her “Lashon Hara.”

I felt bad and hurt. Not only because I realized the damage that was going to occur (or has already) to my reputation within her circles, but now because I realize how others have been affected by it as well.

Better late than never to learn this lesson.

And, sometimes, you have to learn the hard way.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments