Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Lawns, Water, and Habits

English Breakfast

Image by Hambo via Flickr

This summer in DC has been incredibly hot. I don’t know if its’ the hottest ever or not, but a number of days over 100 certainly qualifies for intense.

The implications are obvious.

Electricity systems are strained and water levels aren’t as high.

There’s a guy in my neighborhood who takes a great deal of pride in his lawn. Mows it often.

Driving down the street one morning, I saw that he had set up a number of sprinklers and was watering the grass.

Maybe I’m self-righteous, but that just struck me as selfish and irresponsible.

If I’m not mistaken, the idea of the lawn stems from the desire of the English aristocracy to demonstrate their wealth by showing off how they could own land, but afford to “waste” it by not using it for sheep.

Well, now, the game has changed and we have a greater level of consciousness about water and how we have mistreated it.

Maybe I can’t blame him. I probably shouldn’t. If water were more expensive, we wouldn’t have lawns (or at least those that required watering).

Still, it represented to me that we’re ALL continuing habits and behaviors that, in light of new knowledge, we may want to reinvestigate.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments