Friday, August 28, 2009

Flexibility vs. Security

On 2nd thought, I am not sure this is the best title for this post.

Perhaps you can help me re-title it after it.

Three times within the course of three days people remarked/commented on my ability “as a dad” to participate in an activity of my kids during the traditional work day.

Tonka and Paco took a class this summer at the local franchise of the Little Gym and the last session of the semester, the parents are invited in to participate in the activity (and you can bet I did that with enough gusto that they probably are re-thinking the practice.)

I also took them at 2pm to their dental appointments.

The teachers at the Little Gym and the dentist, in particular, were truly amazed (I was the only father in the gym class) that I was there.

Since I make my own schedule, I can do that.

They saw the flexibility portion of my job.

What they don’t see, however, is the fact that I have traded the relative security of a known ribi-weekly paycheck.

But, in thinking further about it, I realized that, particularly these days, many people don’t take that for granted either.

So, wondering…what do you think is the appropriate “flip-side” to the flexibility that I currently have?

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments