Monday, March 29, 2010

Quakers, History, and Plan B

IMG_0010One of the things that Tikkanen, Lakkanen, Jokkanen (aka my kids) and I try and do is a special “unique DC outing.”

It’s such a shame to live in a great city as we do and not take advantage of all of the attractions here…if only for 1 hour.

The point? Inspire my kids to be curious and learn how to ask questions.

The other day, we had planned to go to the new National Capital Trolley Museum. It looked promising and we were exciting to ride the trolley.

When we arrived, however, we saw a sign that said “Closed. No electricity.”

Now, I give my kids A LOT of credit…they took it in stride and were not upset at all.

As they ran around the empty parking lot, I used the power of the iPhone “Around Me” app to search for other museums in the area and came across the Sandy Spring Museum.

“What the heck?” I thought, so we made the 4 mile trip and discovered something that I didn’t know existed…and learned something in the process.

The kids got to play with toys from the 1800’s, see a Model T, an icebox, and a hearth for cooking.

An area that was founded (and still heavily so) by the Quakers and covering 100 sq. miles in upper Montgomery County, Maryland became another little journey for us and 45 minutes (that’s really all we were there) when we could take the kids out of their normal routines, see some new things, and appreciate the world a bit more.

Pictured: Lakkanen (aka Gianni) writing on a slate.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments