Friday, July 03, 2009

Transitions of Loved Ones...

I suspect that one of life's more interesting elements is how, over time, it slowly unfolds and reveals its many dimensions.

Earlier this week, my brother and sister-in-law had their first baby, a girl.

When I spoke with him a day or so afterwards, it was clear from his voice that he was a different man. He had transcended that huge gulf to fatherhood.

It's a big psychological leap and for fathers, I think it is even more dramatic since, let's be honest, pregnancy doesn't really impact us all that much.

I have 2 brothers and this is the younger of the two. When the other one (younger than I, but not by much), had his first child, it was wonderful, of course, but I don't think the passage of time hit me as much, since we are so relatively close in age.

My 2nd brother and I are separated by 4 years so I distinctly remember him as a "little kid" and now, presto, he is a father.

Seeing how the people we've known for a long time evolve over time and appreciating their journey as well as our own. Just really starting to enjoy that part.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments