Monday, October 20, 2008

The Value of Unsolicited Advice

The Scene Is Not for Sale album coverImage via WikipediaA potential client (Josh) reached out to me a few weeks ago and said, "I've got some feedback on your personal sales strategy."

Now, I'll say this...it wasn't all positive.

But, it did make me think. And I appreciated it...a lot.

That led to a conversation with my dad about how valuable or helpful it is (or isn't) to offer unsolicited advice.

Let's look at the person offering the advice. What's in it for him?

Let's also assume that the advice is actually for the better.

Some possibilities for the intent:
  • ego gratitifcation
  • selfless desire to help

And on the recipient side
  • the opportunity to get constructive feedback and improve 
Yes, it is annoying to get advice from people who are doing it to make themselves feel better, but assuming the advice actually would help you, you come out ahead, no?

In fact, you could argue that the unsolicited advice may actually be MORE valuable than solicited advice, since you are already invested in a decision-making process.

So, get out there and give some unsolicited advice. Make someone's day.

I won't ask for any feedback on this post ;-)


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments