Thursday, October 23, 2008

If you don't ask...

Nokia Arena from Gate 11, during a Maccabi Tel...Image via Wikipedia
22 years ago, I instructed the invitees to my Bar Mitzvah to not send me any gifts. 
Instead, I directed them to make a contribution to United States Committee for Sports in Israel (now Maccabi USA). I still have some of the thank you notes I received from the sports centre in Israel  (the money purchased 2 wheelchairs for disabled Israeli athletes).
So, I've been a casual supporter of the organization ever since. A little bit of money, but not a huge commitment.

Obviously, they have a special place in my heart.

Anyway, about 2 months ago, I get a mass email that reads, in part:

With the approach of our Annual Meeting on November 2nd, it is time to select individuals to serve as appointed members of our Board.  The Maccabi USA Nominating Committee has already recommended a slate of individuals to serve as elected members of the Board.
 
As President, I am compiling a list of people to serve in appointed positions for a term of two years.  We need your input and your suggestions.
Please take this opportunity to recommend individuals you feel would enjoy working with Maccabi USA.  If you are not currently a member of our Board, please feel free to recommend yourself.

So, I figure, 'what the heck?" and take a bit of a chutzpah approach (yes, I admit it) and respond.


Thank you for your offer to join the board. I am happy to accept!

Then, I go on to list my qualifications.

Well, wouldn't you know it, but I was offered (and accepted) a slot on the board of this very prestigious organization!

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments