Monday, January 01, 2018

Gratitude Journal- Day 41- Ronald Reagan

Yesterday, on our last day in California, we visited the Ronald Reagan National Library in Simi Valley, CA.

For me, Reagan is a special president. 

I remember before he got elected and during the campaign, that was the time that the American hostages were being held in the Embassy in Tehran.

My dad clearly said to me (I guess I was 7), that "if Reagan beats Carter, the Iranians will let the hostages go."

Now, remember, the hostages had been held for 444 days so that's a bold statement.

Sure enough, that's what happened.

It made a strong impression on me vis a vis foreign policy.

My dad took me to Reagan's first inauguration. 

Reagan was also the president for me from age 8 to 16 and he benefits from the positive association of an upper middle class childhood that included private education, ability to travel, extracurriculars, etc.....and most important of all, the Washington Redskins won 3 Super Bowls during that time, plus we had tickets to the games!

So, power of association connects Reagan with good experiences.

More than that, I like his policies on small government, taxation, individual liberty, freedom and life as my life experience has verified it.

Finally, he was effective, but didn't take himself too seriously.

That's a unique set of leadership traits.

I actually found myself getting emotional at the end of the tour watching the video of his funeral as I thought about his impact on my life.

So, today, I am grateful for our 40th President, Ronald Reagan.

If you are considering going at some point, I will also just add that the Library and its grounds are absolutely magnificent as is the exhibit itself.  The Air Force One visit is not worth the wait, however.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments