Friday, March 18, 2011

The Jew of Bogota…

Not everyone will appreciate how ridiculous this story is (at least from my perspective).

I get to the Business Class lounge in Bogota, going to Caracas, and I look over to see a guy wearing tefillin (phylacteries) and saying/finishing the morning prayers.

When he’s done, I start talking to him.

Turns out there are 2,000 Jews in Bogota, where he’s from and, of course, there’s both an Ashkenazic and Sephardic synagogue. The latter was 9 blocks from my hotel (he invited me over for Sabbath dinner “next time you’re in Bogota”-have to work on that one.)

They were off to Panama to see their new grandson and his wife works for, hang on, the Jewish National Fund (Colombia division).

Definitely not something I was expecting to see.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments