Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Book Review: Brazen Careerist

At first I thought, "another self-help book by a would-be know-it-all."

I'd read Penelope Trunk's columns over the years in a few different places and she struck me as someone with a big ego. Hey, just being honest here.

But, I'd heard some good things about the big and figured I'd give it a shot.

I'm glad I did.

It's easy to mistake candor and straight-shooting for ego (it happens to me, so I should know), but she's got some very good insights into the challenges of the modern workplace.

Perhaps it was difficult for me to stomach at some level because I feel like I've made so many of the mistakes against which she advises.

Had I read it sooner....

When it comes to self-development, I am of the mindset that you need to keep pushing yourself. So, reading a book like this (and combining it with I Didn't See It Coming, for example) would be a career enhancer.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments