Saturday, March 26, 2005

"Uncle John's Band" by the Grateful Dead contains some lyrics that have provided me comfort during times of transition.

It goes:
"Well, the first days are the hardest days, don't you worry any more. Cuz when life looks like easy street, there is danger at your door."

When I first arrived in Germany in September, 1995, I recited these words as I struggled to overcome the challenges of being in a foreign country, not knowing anybody, and not really speaking the language.

I've thought of these words once again recently as I've started to come to terms with the challenges, mostly financial, of homeownership. Can we really do it? All of the things that are coming down the road at us?

I think about the first days being the hardest, take a breath, and move on.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments