Sunday, November 10, 2019

Learning to be a teacher

I taught a meditation class for the 2nd time yesterday, which is funny because I don't really think of myself as a "meditation teacher."

The night before, Friday night, I found myself in one of those light sleeps. In the back of my mind, I kept having questions pop up.

One set was of the "how will I make sure that the experience is good for the people who attend?" [there were 4].

But another set was of the "what if they think I'm silly?" type.

Those are even worse. That little voice in the head that casts doubts upon yourself before you even start.

A few hours before the class, I was talking with one of my teachers and said something like, "I'm teaching this class even though I don't know what I'm doing."

His response was simple and profound. "None of us do."

That helped.

I told him, "I have a lesson plan for the session mapped out. There's a part though that really feels like it will push me out of my comfort zone."

His response, "Good. Do That."

So, I did.

It's not a profound insight or anything, but I think the opportunity in all of this work is to really internalize the idea of just doing things 1% beyond where they were the day before.

Still not easy, but easier.

The key, for me at least, is to do these things every day.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments