Sunday, November 27, 2011

Going Back to Where It All Began…

About 15 years ago, I dropped in on a presentation at the business school of the International University of Japan.

I was a graduate student in International Relations, but had a passion for the Internet and marketing at that time.

I had no idea that my life was about to take a HUGE turn.

The speaker that day was Todd Newfield, a Canadian ex-pat who had started a company in Tokyo doing what we now would call “Internet Marketing.”

I was so inspired by his talk that I went up to him afterwards and asked for a summer internship.

“Email me,” he said (that was a sign of a good fit, since most people didn’t use email that day).

Well, I ended up working for Todd that summer.

He gave me the first book on marketing I ever read. Don Peppers and Martha Rodgers, The One to One Future - Building Relationships One Customer at a Time.

I was hooked.

At the end of the summer, Todd said to me, “come on, the future is the Internet. Drop out of school. Come work for me full-time.”

So, I did.

Now, I am going back to Japan and will be a guest speaker at the IUJ business school on November 29th.

Full circle.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments