Thursday, September 01, 2011

Value of a Buffer Family

A few months ago, we were invited to lunch at the home of some friends of ours.
Prior to going, I asked, "so, will anyone else be there?"
The wife responded, "Yes, my in-laws."
"Great," I said..."looking forward to meeting them."
"Actually," she said, "I'm kind of looking at you to be a buffer family."
"For your in-laws?!" I asked.
"Yes."
Then, she proceeded to explain some of the many challenges she has in interacting with them. It was an extensive list. ;-)
As we were leaving, she said to me, "don't let your kids get sick."
"So," I asked, "what if they are."
Her response took me back.
"I'm willing to take 2 days off from work to take care of any kids of mine who get sick because I really NEED you there."
Sometimes the buffer family is that critical, eh?
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments