Sunday, July 10, 2011

Are Elites Out of Touch?

I’m reading a book called Microtrends: The Small Forces Behind Tomorrow's Big Changes and it has an interesting premise.

That when 1% of the population of the US decides to do ANYTHING, that it has serious ripple effects.

What I love about the book is that the observations are based on hard data and presented in 2-3 page chapters, perfect for reading oh, I don’t know, in the bathroom, for example Winking smile

He’s introduced ideas about “older dads” who have children when they are in their late 40s and 50s (I guess my dad was a trendsetter) and other twists such as “hard of hearers,” and “Pet Parents.”

The one that got me thinking recently was about “Impressionable Elites” and the fact that when people make over $100k a year, they focus more on “character” issues than on positions.

In fact, it’s a 29 percent swing.

I remember hearing from a lot of people that they couldn’t stand GWB because he was “inarticulate” and couldn’t fathom why others would vote for him. This data, perhaps, gives some insight…

But, that’s an aside…

Mark Penn’s conclusion is that “today, the elites are more fascinated with gossip, and they are driving the debate away from the substantive and toward the superficial.”

Something to think about as we head into yet another marathon election cycle.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments