Thursday, December 16, 2010

In the land of Outsourced

During my recent trip to India, I had to deliver a webcast at 11am EST. That’s 9.30pm in India.

To obviate any technical issues, I decided to go to the Microsoft office in Gurgaon (a suburb of Delhi).

Gurgaon is one of the hearts of the “New India.”

Driving down its streets, you see the names of pretty much every major foreign corporation that you can imagine.

When I emerged onto the street at 11pm, instead of a quiet area, I saw a bustling commercial area.

I met a guy who works at IBM and answer tech support for US customers.

This is where the call centers are. These are the people we all call during the day and who answer our questions (some better than others).

They are laughing, smiling, smoking, walking, talking…real people just doing their job.

It put a unique face on the whole Outsourced phenomenon for me.

Now, I can picture the people and the places of this globalized world.

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments