Friday, November 05, 2010

If you don’t ask…

You never get.

That’s kind of the salesman’s motto, right?

I guess the question is: at what consequence?

The other Monday, my kids didn’t have school (professional day) and I took them to the pediatrician to get their flu shots.

I was promptly told that flu shots were only given on T-F.

“Do you ever make exceptions for your best customers?” I asked.image

I mean, we were there already and it was a day off.

The receptionist, a bit grumpily said, “well, if the doctor says it’s ok, it’s ok.”

I went into the business manager’s office. He knows me (after all, I am the mayor.)

I ask him the same question.

He says, “well, it’s fine by me if it’s not too busy.”

It wasn’t.

He went in…next thing I know and there’s a small (but loud) disagreement in the back between the nurses (who apparently didn’t like the change in process) and the business manager.

I have no idea if I am right or not, but afterwards, I feel like we are getting some cold stares from the staff.

And, yes, we got the flu shots.

Was this the right call?

I don’t know.

But, I did use the opportunity to explain to the kids the ideas of “customer service,” “processes,” and “efficiency.”

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments