Wednesday, June 23, 2010

What a son remembers...

Back in the days of the USFL, my dad took my brother and me to a Washington Federals game.

(For those of you who know what the USFL is, you know it was a long time ago. For the rest of you, just take my word for it!)

Afterwards, he took us out for ice cream.

Why I remember that otherwise uneventful Sunday (the Federals lost) I am not sure.

Still, it has stuck with me as a moment (of many) of father-son bonding.

The other day, when Paco was out of school, I decided I would take him on the errand to get a new phone.

We went to the store and he was SUPER patient as I asked questions and ultimately purchased a new phone (the Sprint EVO 4G). They gave him a balloon, but even I will admit, it took a LONG time.

He was a trooper, so I decided to add on a date and took him to Starbucks.

He got a strawberries/cream Frappucino (no coffee) and he asked if we could sit in the store for a few minutes. We did, just chatting, having a "coffee date," as it were.

It was a unique moment for me. He had just "graduated" from nursery school and would be starting camp the next week and kindergarten thereafter.

The joy in his eyes at having the ridiculously sweet drink was so evident and, if only for a few moments, we cherished the solitude of not having to share each other with any other family members.

I will certainly remember this moment. Hope he does.

Update: My brother writes in, "I remember the federals game too. The feds actually won 28-21 we left when they were down 21-0 against the new jersey generals with hershel walker. I didn't remember stopping for ice cream though. "
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments