Friday, July 01, 2005

On Planting a Tree

Somewhere along the line, I heard a great story about a man planting a tree.

A passer-by stopped and said, "Hey, you're an old man, this tree won't even give fruit for 50 years, what are you doing?"

The man replied, "just like my grandfather planted a tree for me so I would have fruit, I am doing the same for my grandchildren."

Another story I read was a piece of advice saying that you should plant a tree when a child is born. Well, I didn't quite do that, but since this is our first summer in our new home, I did take the opportunity to plant a tree in the backyard. I was quite emotional as I did, as this little maple tree now begins to mark my life and as it grows, so does my family, but G-d willing, it will continue well beyond my years.

I plant a tree so that Calanit and her siblings will have it at full strength when they are adults.

There's a tree in my parents' front yard that was planted by my brother, Barak, with my father many years ago. It is quite an impressive site now to behold.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
View Comments